Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Coming from a positive space

Hello everyone.

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished" - Lao Tzu

My name is Karl "Lee" Reid. From October of 2006 until March of 2007 I worked at Eddie's Pizza. During my tenure there the name of the store changed names (Eddie's Pizza to Boogie Woogie), and had many people employed under it. Fortunately I had the opportunity to work with many good friends and eventually even manage this Pizza joint.

Some of the good friends I worked with where the Purvis brothers (Matt and Mike). On the first of January 2006 I moved to Hawaii with these two friends and lived with them until I flew to California in March of 2007. We all began working with one another at the pizza place roughly in January of 2007. This idea sprouted not just from our minds, it was also came from the mind of the man that this site is dedicated to, Jon Toriumi.

Our relations with Jon Toriumi (JT) began months earlier. He was introduced through a local church. Before we all worked together at the pizza place the Purvis brothers had beneficial business ventures with JT. It was during these times the Purvis brothers and I began building trust with JT, and began identifying his character. Though I was un-aware of it at that time these experiences would play as important references in the coming months.

Jon is one of the hardest workingmen I have ever met. When he works a tornado has been harnessed and it embodies his physical appearance. He works hard. This is a very important trait that many people observed. It was this intense work habit that many people interpreted as grounds to trust that he "knew" what he was doing. I am one of those people. Jon also has an amazing ability to speak. JT’s two gifts where tools that unfortunately made life much more unpleasant for many people. I am one that has felt the negative repercussions.

Roughly in January JT, Matt Purvis, Mike Purvis, and I joined to create DM management team. Primarily based around the management of Eddie's Pizza. To this day no one can say that JT was not the hardest worker. The Purvis brothers and I pulled some very long days and early morning yet, JT worked more than we did. Even though JT put in many hours the business agreement was not based upon hourly wage, the deal was there would be a split equally between JT, the Purvis Brothers, and myself.

For the months I worked many workers came. Jon assured us of his business philosophy, which seemed solid. The DM management team agreed that in a specified time we would determine if our plan was working. If the DM team’s running of the company was not successfully we would relinquish the rains of the company.

During times working JT would update me on the business; “o man, a couple hundred went to supplies . . . a hundred went to the rent . . . I paid off so and so worker.” The months began growing closer and closer to the date that the DM management team would reflect on our venture. As the weeks grew closer uncomfortable things began to surface. I would talk to some of the worker that I helped hire and train. I would hear that they were still owed money that JT assured would be paid in due time.

The day that I confessed to JT that I needed money because my savings had gone had come. While working previously these last months I saved up money. Having planned to not get as much money while the DM management team and I proceeded to get the business on its feet. However my reservoir of financial safety has been nursed to a dwindling mud spot. After much talk I was able to get a specific date that JT agreed upon for my payment (I asked JT three times when the date was for my payment to insure he could not forget; JT answered each time). Matt and Mike Purvis can draw witness to this very occasion.

The day came for me to meet him at the Pizza place for my much needed check. He was not there to meet me.

A few days later there was another meeting JT agreed to attend. The meeting consisted of the Business owner, the landlord, the management, and a mediator. Everyone was there on time. JT never showed up. Upon his absents everyone talked of what had happen. Many workers showed up and voiced that they have not been paid. At this time a police report was filed. After some time the truth had bubbled up. There were many thousands of dollars both related with business and personally that JT owed.

Early march is when this took place. I have not seen or heard from this man since then. Personally money and a working car where promised to me. So far he has not paid me and the car he sold me and said he would help me fix lay broken.

I cannot say weather JT took all the money the business was making for him or was simply a bad businessman who has yet to atone for the wrong doings he has committed on others. I can say that it is not right to say you will pay someone and not pay him or her. Fortunately I was able to stay in my house because I could pay rent, yet I have friends that were evicted because JT told them they would get paid and never did. That’s wrong.

If you have any questions or information about JT I would love to talk to you and eventually talk with JT. It is important for closer and understanding. Even if that is all that JT can give.

If there is any specifics or any questions at all please contact me. KarlLeeReid@yahoo.com

Aloha

Lee

No comments: